These beautiful plants are hazardous to our pets
Springs brings us many beautiful plants and flowers– but remember that some are very dangerous to our little furry friends
|Easter Lily is beautiful but poisonous to pets|
2. Sago palms. All parts of this palm are poisonous, but the seeds are the most toxic. Ingestion of Cycas revoluta causes liver failure.
3. Oleander. All parts of Nerium oleander are toxic. Ingestion causes heart arrythmias, hypothermia, and even death.
4. Tulip and Narcissus bulbs. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, drooling, depression, loss of appetite, seizures, and heart abnormalities.
5. Amaryllis. This is a common spring flower that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, and poor appetite if ingested.
6. Azaleas and Rhododendron. Ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, coma, and death.
7. Castor Bean. The highly toxic ricin, potentially used in bioterrorism, comes from the castor bean. Ingestion causes vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tremors, seizures, coma , and death.
8. Cyclamen. The highest concentration of the poison is in the root of the plant. Symptoms are intense vomiting; death has been reported.
9. Pothos. This popular household plant can also cause oral irritation and gastrointestinal symptoms.
10. Yew. Ingestion of Taxus species causes tremors, incoordination, vomiting, diarrhea, heart failure, and difficulty breathing.
11. English Ivy. Hedera helix, if ingested, can cause drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.